Monday 19 March 2012

Religion or Fashion?

As we spoke in class about our viewpoints on religion and spirituality, I was reinforced of the seriousness religion holds in some people’s lives.  I have not been raised to follow religious practices, but brought up to act as person with good character, to tell the truth, and follow the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  I, at times, have negative feelings towards religion due to some of the experiences I have had with close companions who follow strict religious beliefs.  I also have noticed that some people seem to use their religion as a fashion statement, and not a reflection of their views.  An example of this is the Kabbalah religion many celebrities started to follow and symbolized their faith by wearing a red string bracelet which became an article of fashion.  I feel like trivializing the importance of religion by popularizing it as a fashion statement, when it can be a powerful and liberating part of someone’s life, is disrespectful even as a non-religious individual.  I think aspects, such as these, are reasons why I have a difficulty with religion, as well as those who seem to excuse their behaviour with the fact that they are religious.






Lindsay Lohan, Ashton Kutcher and Madonna seen above wearing the famous red string bracelet representing the Kabbalah faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment